Making a Valentine for my Valentine!

 
I am not much of a card-maker and have always been a scrapping girl through and through.  However, having done PL this last year and continuing with it this year I have found that I do enjoy working on a smaller scale than the traditional 12x12 layouts that I am accustomed to.  So I thought with Valentines Day coming up and having quite a few bits and pieces to hand (and a massive stash that needs to be used up) that I would give it a go to see what kind of Valentines Day card I could create.
 
It's probably not as good as some of the phenomenally talented card-makers out there but I think it is a good job for my first official attempt.  With the "3-D" heart I wanted to create something similar to those old style tissue paper hearts & bells you used to see at weddings.  They would come flat, just two pieces of card and a wedge of tissue paper but once you clipped the front & back card together, voila - you had yourself a very cheap but easily made, somewhat... tacky craft paper decoration that looked like it came from your 8th grade home economics classroom.  Don't expect you see those much now at current day weddings.   Although in saying that, those giant tissue paper flowers are quite popular right now.
 
 
 I wanted to try my hand at sewing on the card as well as I need to improve my sewing skills (having just received
 my mini sewing machine at Christmas), so thought it would be cute to create bunting with heart shapes and banners along the top of the card.  For any of you who are more than decent at sewing, you will be able to see that I probably need loads more practice, but I just decided to embrace the crappiness of it and go with it!
For the main bit of card I simply cut a 12x12 white piece of Bazzill cardstock down to 5 1/2 by 11.  For the pink strip across the bottom of the card that I placed the Love letters on, as an afterthought I am now thinking that I should have distressed it or added something to it as it seems quite plain compared to the rest of the card.  Maybe something to experiment with next time.

Thanks for stopping by!
Happy Valentines Day! x
Christine
 
SUPPLIES | Bazzill cardstock - white, pink and red. The brown & pink polka dot paper is by Making Memories - Love Struck, for the pink and white polka dot paper I don't have the manufacturer, just the name which is Up in the Trees and the "Love" lettering are Thickers by American Crafts called Jewelry Box. The "True" letters were in my Studio Calico PL Sugar Rush kit. The red glitter puffy heart is a no name brand and something that was sent to me by my best friend last Valentines Day. The background paper for the card is from a no-name kit that I picked up at TK Maxx so don't have a manufacturer there either.
 

1 comment: