WATER BABY
WEDNESDAY, 17 DECEMBER, 2014


For this layout I did sort of what I'm calling "freestyling".  I don't know if that's a real thing or not in scrapbooking but that is what I am calling it!


Typically when I start a page or layout, there is some planning involved.  I use the term planning loosely as I am not one who goes so far as to draw a sketch or anything like that, nothing that organised.  

However, once I do decide which picture or pictures I am going to scrap I lay that photo down on the page where I think that I want it to go, usually on the paper that I think I am going to use. 



I then pull out all my stock, well not all of it, but the products or items that I think that I will want to use with this photo and/or paper, if I have made that choice yet, in regards to paper.  I will then place the items I like around the page, adjacent to the photo, not sticking anything down yet or adding adhesive until I am certain where everything goes and that I like the look of it.  

Sometimes I may switch or move everything around more than a few times. 


Once I am certain that I like what I see and will be happy with the "final" layout I start sticking everything down where I have chosen.

With this layout I decided not to do that and to take a different approach.  The only pre-planning was deciding what picture to scrap and that I wanted to go with a blue coloured scheme to go along with the water photo and title.  

So I just randomly started pulling things out and sticking them down as I selected them, rather than going with the approach of being certain first and shifting or shuffling everything around  more than a few times.


I also wanted to try a bit of mixed media with this layout.  I started with the polka dot template in the upper left hand corner and a bit of water colour paints.  I decided to keep the template on the page and shifted it to the right slightly, then glued it down. I also did a bit of painting behind the photo and mixed some blues and greens together.

Below is the finished page.

 

 SUPPLIES | Background paper is simple white cardstock by Bazzill. The blue word stickers "Super Cool" and "Water" are by Simple Stories.  The polka dot template at the top left is by Simple Stories. The blue stickers on the photo are Simples Stories as is the blue camera flair button and the love hearts stuck on the Elle's Studio scalloped circular tag. The cutie pie bingo card is by Simple Stories. The blue scalloped trim, at the bottom of the photo, just above the title is by Bella Blvd as is the blue polka dot photo corner. The blue chipboard stars and blue paperclip are Studio Calico. Finally the snapshop sticker is by Echo Park. 


Now I have to say that I don't know how I feel about the page.  It does have some, shall we say, "artistic" ability to it.  I don't hate it but I don't know that I love it either.  Although,in saying that, I did enjoy the process of just putting stuff down on the page as I picked it up. 

It was freer. Like when you were a kid in first or second grade and it was the session of class where you got to work on art projects. You never gave great thought, typically, to what you were doing.  You just grabbed a pot of paint or two, a giant pad of paper for your easel and went to town!


No comments:

Post a Comment