#THROWBACK THURSDAY
THURSDAY, 19 FEBRUARY, 2015


Hello Fellow Crafters!

Today I am carrying on from the series I started last week using the popular social media hashtag, #Throwback Thursday and showcasing some of my older layouts here. 

This layout is going back to January 2005 and is called "All Torn Up".

SPACER
It documents a habit that my old Jack Russell Terrier named Flash used to have, which was tearing paper, any kind of paper - toilet paper, paper towels, newspaper or receipts off the coffee table to shreds, virtually teeny tiny shreds.  Sometimes I wonder if he had OCD. He never used to chew things up, with the exception of when he was a puppy, but give him a bit of paper and he would go to town on it! He would stand on it with one paw and then begin tearing off small pieces, until there was nothing left of it. 
SPACER
SPACER
This goes back to the time when paint chip cards were quite popular in scrapbooking. Who would have ever thought that something that you could pick up at your local hardware store or building supply store to determine what color scheme you wanted to paint your living room and bedroom would be become popular in scrapbooking?! 

I'm sure there were plenty of Home Depot sales associates at the time who were quite confused when trying to help various female customers who may have been perusing or lurking in the paint aisles to have them politely decline their assistance but then pause to see them grab handfuls of paint chip cards, and not just one or two colours but virtually every colour of the rainbow!  The cards were obviously free but yet I expect I wasn't the only who felt a slight bit "wrong" (for lack of a better word) when trying to casually slip more than 5 or 6 cards into my bag. As if I was doing something illegal. Quite comical if you think about it now.
SPACER
SPACER
We were in the process of getting things together for an estate sale so we had lots of boxes out in the hallway. We were trying to keep them for packing when we moved. For a few days Flash had his eye on this particular Black and Decker box that the leaf blower had come in. He had already stolen it a couple times before this but we always managed to get it away from him before he had done any real damage.  However, on this day, we just thought, let him have his fun and let him keep it once he managed to run down the hall with it. We laughed ourselves silly just watching him tear it to shreds. 

As you can see I used a paint chip card here in my layout. I wanted this layout to mimic the colours of the Black and Decker box that Flash tore up that day, I also wanted the page to look torn but then thought how would I keep it together if I actually tore the paper apart. So I mounted the orange paper on black cardstock to give it a torn effect.
SPACER
SPACER
This was also a time when industrial style supplies - metal mesh, cardboard, washers, things of that nature were a bit popular or on trend with scrapbooking. As it was a box that Flash had torn up I thought it would be a great effect to use cardboard or something like it for the title as well as the journalling. So what I did was find a large piece of cardboard, tear off the top layer of paper so the corrugated bits showed and then made a colour copy of it onto thin white scrapbook paper, like the kind that used to come in the page protectors in post bound albums. I then ran it through my printer for the title and journalling, scrunched it up before mounting it on heavier cardstock to give it weight, then adhered it to the page and placed different sized foam dots underneath it to give it varying height. I think it gave the effect of real cardboard quite well. 
SPACER
SPACER
Here's a photo of the entire layout. I thought the large Black and White photo at the top of the page, of him standing on the cardboard, tearing it up would be a nice contrast with the background paper and as well with the color photo strip at the bottom of the page. 


Thanks for dropping by my blog to check out my "#Throwback Thursday" series. 

I hope you enjoyed the old school layout!

And P.S. - I know paint chip cards aren't really still trendy in scrapbooking, but I do enjoy using them on occasion, even with my current scrapping!

No comments:

Post a Comment